Thursday, December 9, 2010

Atlas Shrugged 1

I am embarking on what is probably my fifth attempt to read Ayn Rand's seminal work Atlas Shrugged (aside: I think a new word needs to be invented to take the place of 'seminal' since its more of a medical term and it seems strange to attach it to a woman's work). I'm not sure what has kept me from getting into her work before and I've been trying since Highschool. She's very conservative, against all government interfearance in a free market economy but I can't imagine that being what has kept me from diving into her fiction since I've been able to read to much work that I don't agree with. This time I've made it farther then before and its starting to grab me. Its helped that i've needed a distraction from exams.

So far my impressions are limited seeing as I've only reached page 81
- Dagny Taggert is a woman with much potential and hopelessly stuck in man's world in era where her values and beliefs are being left behind by all those around her.
- Hank Rearden is possibly a high functioning autistic

Questions:
- What is the anti-dog-eat-dog rule's real life listing and has it been introduced by lefties or righties?

No comments: